Do you want to contribute to a cause that is close to your heart? Sporty or not, participating in a charity run is a way to keep fit and raise money for a good cause.
Running marathons or running in the name of a charity is a way to raise awareness of a topic. It is also a more practical alternative to donating online. Here are some tips to get you started.
Choose The Charity
The first thing to do is to choose a charity or theme that has meaning for you. Beyond the sense of accomplishment you’ll get from completing a race, running on behalf of a charity will give you new motivation to reach your goal.
Be sure to check the charity’s website and see how the funds raised will be awarded. You can also start by checking out upcoming running events scheduled in Europe on Marathon Runs Diary and Ahotu Marathons and find out which charities are in attendance.
Do you want to support a specific charity in your locality or run for a specific cause not yet considered by a charity? You can build your project. It will need to be explained carefully, particularly if you wish to raise funds. Do not forget that the European Solidarity Corps is there to support youth solidarity projects in the European Union.
How the Competition Works
Now that you know which charity you want to join, find out about how the competition works. Normally you will be asked to pay an application fee and to collect commitments. In most cases, you will receive a fundraising form to find other people willing to support your run. Motivated participants can raise thousands of euros for their favorite associations with the online tools made available by the most important marathons. Set your goals and be realistic, especially if it’s your first time.
Remember that in return you will enjoy a great ride, do something worthwhile, acquire new skills (like raise money), and receive recognition from the organization you raced for. You will be part of something important and you will certainly make new friends who share the same concerns as you.
How To Prepare Yourself
If you haven’t raced very often before, it’s important to prepare well in advance. Here are some tips:
- Get the right equipment. Good quality running equipment is essential. Ask for advice in a specialized store to get shoes that give your feet the right support.
- Take care of yourself. Follow a balanced diet and if possible stop smoking, because it affects a lot and makes running easier.
- Take the necessary precautions. Put on sunscreen, stretch properly before starting, keep your back straight and breathe deeply as you run.
- Don’t overdo the speed. Running a marathon takes patience. Prepare for the previous months by exercising regularly.
- Start walking short distances on flat surfaces. Run slowly, just enough to keep the same pace from start to finish.
- Get enough hydration. Drink water regularly before and during your run.
- Keep an eye on your progress. Use an app on your smartphone or a pedometer, or keep a running diary to motivate yourself.
- Run with friends. Running with others is always more fun, run with friends or join an athletics club to meet other runners.